Clinton TownshipNovember 7, 2012
Cross country season comes to a close
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Several local runners and a few teams were in action Nov. 3 at the MHSAA boys and girls cross country state finals held at Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn.
In the girls competition, Chippewa Valley junior Rachel Walny finished 22nd (out of 228) with a time of 18 minutes, 28.9 seconds. Utica Eisenhower freshman Brianna Mozariwskyj placed 91st (19:12.4), and Dakota senior Christina Micale finished 133rd (19:42.1).
In the boys competition, Warren De La Salle sophomore Mickey Davey took 20th (out of 251) with a time of 15:41.6. Eisenhower senior Kevin Salter was 46th (16:16.9), and L’Anse Creuse North senior Trevor Creagh finished 141st, crossing the finish line in 16:44.6.
Warren Regina’s team took ninth out of 27 girls teams. Cassie Bloch, who finished in 18th (of team-based runners), led the Saddlelites after turning in a time of 18:58.3. Rounding out Regina’s team-scoring members are junior Christina Ridella (49th, 19:42.1), junior Elizabeth Bloch (66th, 19:56.0), sophomore Stephanie Latos (67th, 19:57.5) and junior Jenny Ponkowski (77th, 20:04.6).
Macomb Lutheran North’s girls finished seventh out of 27 teams. Gina Patterson finished first overall with a time of 17:43.4. Also scoring points for North were sophomore Jenna Briney (26th, 19:24.0), sophomore Jenna Cundy (44th, 20:02.1), freshman Briana Weglarz (57th, 20:19.3) and senior Lori Schwark (147th, 22:15.2). See next week’s paper for more on Patterson’s big win at the finals.
North’s boys team finished 27th in the team standings, led by senior Zach Weglarz (106th, 17:48.9) and sophomore Jacob Miller (107th, 17:50.3).
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Longtime DLS lacrosse coach receives honor - Warren
- Hazel Park golf shoots for another solid season - Hazel Park
- Golfers take to Pontiac Country Club to decide county championship - Metro Detroit
- Tower boys golf team going after fourth straight league title - Sterling Heights
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher earns conference Most Valuable Pitcher honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start