Birmingham, Bloomfield Township, Bloomfield HillsMarch 8, 2013
Cranbrook hockey continues to roll, beats Riverview 7-0 in Division 3 semifnal
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
PLYMOUTH — The dominance in this game was decisive, from start to finish.
With one more win, the Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood hockey team can say the same about the entire season.
The Cranes skated into Saturday’s Division 3 final with a 7-0 victory against Riverview High Friday afternoon at Compuware Sports Arena in Plymouth, setting up the chance to win the program’s first state since 2010.
“The guys have been focused all year,” coach Andy Weidenbach said after the win. “We have nine seniors, and to get knocked out in the (2012) regional sticks in the minds of these guys. They’ve been real consistent, and everybody is making a contribution.”
It may have taken CK a little time to get the offense on track — the guys didn’t score until 14 minutes into the opening period — once it did, though, the floodgates swung open.
Leading 2-0 after the first on goals by Sam Miletic and Christopher Brown, the Cranes took control in the second, scoring four times in an 11-minute span.
Andrew DeClerk, who had just six goals all season, scored three times in the second frame.
“My teammates just gave me some good passes,” he said with a smile. “I just wanted to throw the puck on net. … I think I got a little lucky.”
Billy Young also scored in the second, and Shawn O’Malley capped the scoring 4:24 into the third before Riverview was able to hang on and avoid the eight-goal mercy.
“The defense played pretty well,” Weidenbach added. The Cranes outshot Riverview 42-12. “We moved the puck well, generated some speed and helped our (offense) attack.”
Cranbrook, now 27-2-1, faces Sault St. Maria (22-8-0) in the D-3 title game, set for 2 p.m. March 9 at Compuware.
None of the nine seniors on the roster were part of 2010 state championship.
Riverview closes its season at 20-8-1.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start