ClawsonOctober 11, 2012
Clawson soccer claims MAC Gold title with 2-1 victory
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
CLAWSON — The bigger goal remains, and will begin Oct. 15 with the state playoffs kicking off. But on Thursday night, the Clawson High soccer team had one objective in mind.
Consider the mission accomplished.
Andrew Halsey scored twice for the Trojans in their home date with St. Clair High Oct. 11, leading to a 2-1 victory and a Macomb Area Conference Gold Division title.
“This is a huge deal,” coach Jared Kullman said. “Coming into this year, we had graduated 60 goals and really didn’t know what we’d have. But they came out focused, wanted to get this division title, and did it.”
Halsey scored the game’s first goal roughly 15 minutes in. St. Clair evened things midway through the second half, but Halsey added his second goal about five minutes later, and Clawson held on from there.
The Trojans, also the 2011 division winner, are now 11-0-1 in league play and 16-1-2 overall.
St. Clair falls to 4-7-1 in league play and 4-11-3 overall.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley baseball beats Bridgman, plays for third D-3 title in three years tomorrow - Madison Heights
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals