ClawsonMarch 28, 2012
Clawson boys, girls hoopsters among league’s elite
The end of the winter sports season brings the announcement of the honor squads from the 36-team Macomb Area Conference. Among them, Clawson High’s boys and girls basketball teams were well represented in the MAC Silver Division — the league both programs compete in.
All-Conference teams have been chosen, along with league Most Valuable Player and Coach of the Year in each division. Below are the MAC Silver results. For complete lists and more photos, see our website at www.candg news.com.
Clawson won its second straight division title, going 13-1. Lakeview (10-4), Marysville (9-5), Clintondale (8-6), Lamphere (5-9), Lake Shore (5-9), Marine City (4-10) and Center Line (2-12) round out the division.
Lakeview junior Robert Shields won the league MVP award, while Clawson coach Billy Shellenbarger was named Coach of the Year.
All-Conference selections include Shields and senior Gary Tilney, Lakeview; seniors DeShawn Gilbert, Tywaun Watkins and junior Marquian Johnson, Clawson; junior Matt Russell and senior Sean Farnsworth, Marysville; senior Kyle Styles and junior Tyrone Moore, Clintondale; junior Sam Honaker, Marine City; senior Jay Junkin, Lamphere; and senior Chris Bolus, Lake Shore.
At 14-0, Marysville won the league by four full games. South Lake came in second at 10-4. Lamphere and Clawson at 9-5 finished tied for third. New Haven (7-7), Clintondale (5-9), East Detroit (2-12) and Madison (0-14) made up the rest of the division.
The Most Valuable Player Award went to Marysville sophomore Madison Valko, while Coach of the Year was awarded to Clawson’s Kelly Horne.
All-Conference selections are Valko, senior Andrea Curtiss, senior Jessica Fowler and junior Shelby Zeiser, Marysville; junior Destiny Rasche and sophomore DeAsia Clark, New Haven; seniors Alli Costine and Ryann May, Clawson; juniors Taylor Kelly and Erika Berger, Lamphere; senior Alyssa Bennetts; Madison; and junior Rolanda Petty, Clintondale.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start