Clawson, RosevilleSeptember 20, 2012
Clawson and Roseville tie in MAC Gold showdown, stay tied atop standings
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
ROSEVILLE — Entering their Sept. 20 game at Roseville High, the host Panthers and Clawson High Trojans found themselves tied atop the Macomb Area Conference Gold Division soccer standings.
Eighty minutes of gameplay later, nothing had changed.
Chris Thursam scored his 20th goal of the season to give Roseville a 1-0 lead in the first half, only to see Clawson’s Nathan Cole notch the equalizer six minutes into the second half in what would eventually end a 1-1 draw.
“The goal was to win today, but we stay on top of the standings, and the guys played our game,” Clawson coach Jared Kullman said after the game. “There’s not much more I can ask of them. We’ll take this and keep moving.”
Clawson moves to 9-1-1 on the season and 6-0-1 in Gold play.
“The guys fought here tonight, and I liked that,” said Roseville coach Ronald Baller. The Panthers record goes to 10-1-2 overall and 6-0-1 in the Gold. “After scoring first and really taking it to them in the first half, it’s a little frustrating not to come out of here with a win. But Clawson seemed to take control in the second half, so we had to battle. I like that part of it.”
Thursam connected on a penalty kick for Roseville. The lead stood until Cole scored early in the second half.
Clawson controlled the flow of the second half, but was never able to take the lead.
The teams play for a second time Oct. 3 at Clawson.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley baseball beats Bridgman, plays for third D-3 title in three years tomorrow - Madison Heights
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals