Grosse Pointes, St. Clair ShoresOctober 18, 2012
Grosse Pointe South soccer defeats Lakeview in shootout to capture district title
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
GROSSE POINTE — After two overtimes couldn't decide the outcome, it was a shootout that eventually decided a district championship matchup between Grosse Pointe South and St. Clair Shores Lakeview, and it was the Blue Devils who prevailed via a shot by Daniel Bukacel to give them with a 2-1 victory and a district title.
Earlier this season, South soccer coach Stefan Harris listed winning a district championship as one of the team's goals for the season.
Their victory earned South its first district championship since 2007.
Harris was pleased to see his team rewarded for the effort it has put forth this season.
"We started all the way back in May," he said. "We worked really hard. It's all the players. I put them in the situation, and they ran with it."
Goalkeepers Noel Fets of South and Zachary Raymond for Lakeview didn't allow a goal for the first 40 minutes of play. In fact, the game remained scoreless until South's Jeffrey Woolstrum got a shot past Raymond with approximately 21:40 remaining in the second half.
Lakeview's Steven Gulino answered back with 12:23 remaining in the game to tie the score at one apiece.
The score would stay that way through the end of regulation and two overtimes.
South's road to the district title started with a bye in the opening round and then a win over rival Grosse Pointe North.
Lakeview defeated Detroit Western International 2-1 in the opening round and went on to defeat Roseville by the same score in the semifinal round to earn the right to advance to the finals, which was hosted by Grosse Pointe North.
Although they didn't come away with a district title, Lakeview coach Simon Miners was pleased with the determination he saw from his team.
"Fantastic effort," he said. "Really proud of the lads. Great effort, great heart. It's a horrible way to win or lose. Doesn't seem fair, but you got to do something, otherwise, you go on all night."
For South, it is on to regionals. The Blue Devils are scheduled to play a regional semifinal game at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 23 against the winner of the Chippewa Valley district, which was scheduled to be played Oct. 19.
The regional semifinal match is scheduled to be played at Fraser High School.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley