Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Grosse PointesMarch 9, 2013
Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood girls hockey wins state title
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
LIVONIA — The girls hockey team from Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood captured a Division 1 state title, and did so in dramatic fashion with a 3-2 overtime victory against Grosse Pointe South March 9.
It was Cranbrook's Hana DeClerck who had the game-winning goal with 5:40 remaining in overtime.
The Cranes had a 2-1 lead late in the third period until South's Meghan Polack scored with 3:47 remaining. According to Cranbrook's Tara Chelios, despite the late game-tying goal, she still had confidence her team would leave the ice as state champs.
"We felt confident," she. "We wanted it. We didn't let up until we got it."
Cranbrook's Keiko DeClerck got the scoring started with a goal 3:19 into the first period. Later in the period, South's Tenley Shield scored to even the score at one.
Keiko DeClerck was also responsible for Crabrook's second goal of the game, which came early in the second period.
The state title game was the third game of the season between Cranbrook and South, with the teams splitting their first two meetings.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start