Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Grosse PointesMarch 9, 2013
Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood girls hockey wins state title
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
LIVONIA — The girls hockey team from Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood captured a Division 1 state title, and did so in dramatic fashion with a 3-2 overtime victory against Grosse Pointe South March 9.
It was Cranbrook's Hana DeClerck who had the game-winning goal with 5:40 remaining in overtime.
The Cranes had a 2-1 lead late in the third period until South's Meghan Polack scored with 3:47 remaining. According to Cranbrook's Tara Chelios, despite the late game-tying goal, she still had confidence her team would leave the ice as state champs.
"We felt confident," she. "We wanted it. We didn't let up until we got it."
Cranbrook's Keiko DeClerck got the scoring started with a goal 3:19 into the first period. Later in the period, South's Tenley Shield scored to even the score at one.
Keiko DeClerck was also responsible for Crabrook's second goal of the game, which came early in the second period.
The state title game was the third game of the season between Cranbrook and South, with the teams splitting their first two meetings.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start