Published March 7, 2013
Bishop Foley's girls basketball season ends at regional finals
By Mark Vest email@example.com Follow Mark on Twitter.
MADISON HEIGHTS — Madison Heights Bishop Foley's girls basketball season came to a close with a 64-47 defeat to Riverview Gabriel Richard in a Class C Regional final game March 7 on the Ventures' home court.
Although Foley was able to stay within strking distance for the first eight minutes of play, trailing just 19-16 after the first quarter, Riverview's offensive production made it difficult for the Ventures to gain momentum for significant stretches of play.
Riverview's Ashley Henderson didn't make things any easier for Foley, as the senior scored a game-high 30 points.
Foley coach Dave Joseph was thinking about his seniors following the game.
"It was about the seniors for this tournament run," he said. "I asked them to lead and take charge, and they did everything I asked them to do. Very proud of (them)."
Emma Wonsil, Cyndi Claucherty, Lauren Cross and Abigail Lama are Foley's four senior representatives.
Wonsil led Foley in scoring with 15 points.
Riverview advances to the quarterfinals of the state tournament, where the Pioneers will face Flint Hamady, scheduled for 7 p.m. March 12 at Burton Bendle.
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Lamerato confident his Hawks will contend when consistency develops - Farmington Hills
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals