Madison HeightsJune 15, 2012
Bishop Foley battles in D-3 semifinal — LIVE UPDATES
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
BATTLE CREEK — Madison Heights Bishop Foley's baseball team will take the field at 4 p.m. in a Division 3 state semifinal against Saginaw Nouvel.
C & G's Mike Moore is in Battle Creek and will be posting live updates as soon as the game is under way.
Foley, now 37-3 on the season, closes it out, wins D-3 semifinal 6-2. The Ventures will defend their 2011 title against Mancelona High (29-5) or Lansing Catholic (30-6) in the final. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. June 16 at C.O. Brown Stadium.
The Ventures strand two more. We head to the bottom of the seventh with Foley up 6-1.
Score remains 6-1 as we head to the final inning. Nouvel will need at least five runs in the bottom half, but has just seven hits total so far.
Headed to the bottom of the sixth. Foley still up 6-1.
Plenty of hits, but Foley continues to strand runners, two more in the fifith inning. Ventures lead 6-1 still in the bottom of the fifth.
Garrett Schilling is having a solid day on the mound and at the plate. He now has three RBI, and Foley has a 6-1 lead heading into the bottom of the fourth.
Long innings here at Nichols Field. Nouvel just stranded two runners of its own and still trails 5-1 as we head to the top of the fourth. Worth noting, this is Foley's third consecutive year in Battle Creek. The Ventures lost in the 2010 semifinals, but won the 2011 D-3 state title.
Foley strands two runners in the top of the third, still up 5-1.
A single and a double gets Nouvel on the board. Two innings complete and the Ventures lead 5-1.
Bottom of the second now. Foley up 5-0.
Pitcher Garrett Schilling just helped his own cause with a two-run single to right. Foley now up 5-0 in the top of the second with runners on first and third and just one out. Nouvel is making a pitching change.
Foley bats have come to life. Two doubles, a single and a passed ball here in the second inning and the Ventures have a 3-0 lead with runners at first and third.
Second inning has started, still no score. I just learned from the game's official scorer in the press box that Foley coach Buster Sunde is not with the team after being ejected from the quarterfinal win. MHSAA rules stipulate a one-game suspension for any player or coach ejected from the previous game. Assistant David Leffler is the acting manager for the game.
Foley leaves runners on first and second after one inning. No score as Nouvel comes to bat for the first time.
Just about set to go here in Battle Creek. Foley (36-3) will be the visiting team against Saginaw Nouvel (29-9). Email any questions or comments to me during the game at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Groves volleyball gives back - Birmingham
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start