BirminghamFebruary 19, 2013
Birmingham Seaholm wrestling falls in regional semifinal
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
OXFORD — The Birmingham Seaholm wrestling season came to a close Feb. 13 at Oxford High in a Division 1 regional semifinal.
The Maples fell to Utica Eisenhower 40-36, with the match coming down to the final bouts.
“It was about as exciting as it could get,” Seaholm coach Neil Tuomi said. “It was a great effort, and all my seniors went out with a win, so I’m happy for them.”
The seniors are Sam Gomez, Tim List and Erik Adams.
Gomez won his 160-pound match with a second-period pin; List won with a first-round fall at 140; and Adams pinned his opponent in the second round of his 130-pound match.
“It felt really good,” List said. “Last season, I went out and got pinned when my team needed me. This time, I went out there and got the pin for them.”
List, a state qualifier last season and county placer this season, finishes his career with more than 100 wins. Battling illness, he failed to get out of the individual district last week.
“It’s been a very up-and-down year. There have been good times and bad times,” he said. “I’m not overly upset. … It’s one chapter in my life closing.”
The Maples also received victories from Chris Saadatjoo at 152 (pin); Dakota Tuomi at 171 (pin); and Anthony Saadatjoo at 189 (pin).
In total, Seaholm won six of its 14 matches, all by pins, but had to give up six points due to a void.
The Maples finish 15-12 overall and with their third district title in four years.
“It was just different kid stepping up at different times,” Tuomi said. “I’m very happy for these guys. They need to know and understand that they’re a good team.”
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlasts Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start