Auburn Hills, Royal OakAugust 21, 2012
Avondale soccer steals win at Royal Oak with late goal
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
ROYAL OAK — For one team, it was the second game of the season. For the other, the very first.
To both, it took on somewhat of a playoff feel.
“A great game,” Royal Oak High soccer coach Richard Thoma said following a 2-1 loss to Auburn Hills Avondale Aug. 21 at home. “To be this early in the season and have that kind of atmosphere was awesome. It really was like a playoff game.”
The Ravens broke a scoreless tie with 28:27 remaining in first half when Kenny Vincent found the back of the net.
The 1-0 lead carried into the second half before Avondale, the defending Division 2 champ, tied the game on a Tiko Emretiyoma goal.
The Yellow Jackets then snatched the win on an Erik Koberstein goal with all of 1:23 remaining in the game.
“It was a great start to the season,” Avondale coach Dave Muczynski said. “I mean, this was a fantastic start, an awesome effort. The kids fought all the way to the end.”
Avondale was playing its first game since winning the state title last fall.
“I guess we like those heart-wrenching games,” Muczynski added with a laugh. “Royal Oak is a great team going in the right direction. This was a great win for us.”
“We just made a mistake late, and they took advantage,” said Thoma, whose squad is now 1-1. “We’re big on limiting mistakes, and that’s something we’ll try and fix and move on from.”
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start