UticaFebruary 9, 2012
Rochester tops Utica to win district title
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
UTICA — Grapplers on Rochester High's wrestling team took advantage of good matchups against Utica High in a Division 1 district final, as the Falcons took down the Chieftains 54-15 en route to a district title Feb. 9 at Utica.
The win gives Rochester its first district title in 19 years, according to coach Frank Lafferty.
The loss was another heartbreak for the Chieftains, who were competing in their third straight district final.
The Falcons built a 45-9 lead going into the final three matches before Utica 171-pound grappler Erik Culberson scored a pin to cut Rochester's lead to 45-15. That was as close as the Chieftains would get.
Falcons grapplers recorded seven pins — worth six points each — in the 14-bout affair.
"Now it's on to gettting the guys ready to work in the offseason," Utica coach Clint Davis said. "We've got to get their dedication up for wanting to put work in during the summer if they want to improve."
Lafferty said he knew not to take the Chieftains for granted, citing Utica's coaching, squad and its attention to detail and preparation as reasons for having his guys locked in going into the match.
Utica bested crosstown rival Utica Eisenhower 43-27 in its district semifinal; Rochester had a bye in the three-team heat.
The Falcons advance to take on the winner of the Utica Stevenson Division 1 district in a regional semifinal slated for Feb. 15 at Utica Ford II High. The winner of the Stevenson district had not been crowned at press time. Check www.candgnews.com and www.mhsaa.com closer to the match for more information.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start