BerkleyApril 02, 2014
Looking Back: Oxford School
Photo submitted by James Tong, Berkley Historical Museum
A flyer was distributed by the Berkley School District in 1951, when Oxford School opened, calling it “A New Era for Schools.”
The first principal at Oxford was Neva Schalm, who served from 1951-1961.
When the population began to decline in the 1980s, Oxford School was closed in 1983. The students were sent to Angell Elementary School, and the Berkley School District Offices were moved into Oxford School.
The building eventually was demolished, and houses now stand at the school’s old location at Oxford Road and Oakshire Avenue.
James Tong, with the Berkley Historical Museum, came across this photo while compiling “Images of America: Berkley,” which is available at the Berkley Public Library, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.