BerkleyFebruary 05, 2014
Looking Back: Community Church
Photo submitted by James Tong, Berkley Historical Museum
The Rev. Oren Van Loon bought this former temporary school building in 1929, when it stood on Catalpa Drive, and moved it to Kipling Avenue.
Van Loon founded the Berkley Community Church in the building, and the building was expanded over the years. The Berkley Community Church has since moved to 2855 Wiltshire Road.
James Tong, with the Berkley Historical Museum, came across this photo while compiling it as part of “Images of America: Berkley,” which is available at the Berkley Public Library, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.