RosevilleJanuary 14, 2014
Looking Back: Burton School in 1886
Photo courtesy of the Roseville Public Library Photograph Archive
This 1886 photo is of teacher Jennie Templeton with her students at an Erin District schoolhouse, named the Burton School, located in modern-day Roseville. The schoolhouse was built in 1870 on Gratiot Avenue, south of Utica Plank Road, near 11 Mile Road, and replaced an earlier log schoolhouse that had been built in 1851.