Rochester HillsJanuary 08, 2013
Propane heater believed to have started house fire
By Linda Shepard
C & G Staff Writer
A propane heater may have been the cause of a fire in a one-story home in the 3000 block of Grant Road, near Auburn and Crooks, Sunday, a police report states. No serious injuries were reported.
Firefighters arrived at the home and found that the fire, which was reported at 11:15 p.m. Jan. 6, had fully engulfed the house. A firefighter ran to the front door of the home, opened it and began yelling in an attempt to make sure the house was empty, and ended up inhaling smoke. The firefighter was transported to Crittenton Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation and was cleared to return to work without restrictions.
The owner of the home was found a short time later sitting outside the house in his van. He told firefighters the house was empty and he had been doing repairs in the home. He was using a propane heater because the electricity had been turned off.
The homeowner told officials he went into the garage to gather some things and returned to the house to find the hallway engulfed in flames.
According to the report, arson is not considered a cause of the fire.