- Football Sterling Heights Stevenson 35 Utica Ford 7 10/02
- Football Romeo 26 Macomb Dakota 14 10/02
- Boys soccer Macomb Dakota 1 L'Anse Creuse North 1 9/30
- Boys soccer Utica Eisenhower 2 Utica 0 9/30
- Boys soccer Troy 1 Troy Athens 0 9/29
- Volleyball Notre Dame Prep 3 Marian 1 9/29
- Boys soccer Utica Eisenhower 2 Chippewa Valley 0 9/28
- Boys tennis Brother Rice 6 Grosse Pointe South 2 9/28
WARREN — The Romeo High volleyball team downed Grosse Pointe North 2-0 to win the 2014 Macomb Area Conference Volleyball Kickoff Tournament, which took place Aug. 22 at Michigan Elite Volleyball Academy in Warren.
The Bulldogs bested Utica High in the semifinals, while the Norsemen beat Sterling Heights Stevenson to advance to the final match.
The 22-team tournament, featuring 18 teams from the C & G Newspapers coverage area, served as the official start to the 2014 season. Warren Cousino coach Eric Zwierzchowski said the tournament provides each competing team with a chance to show where it stands against some stiff competition, including Romeo High, which advanced to the state quarterfinals in 2013.
Divisional play begins Sept. 16. The state volleyball playoffs start Nov. 3, with the state finals set for Nov. 20-22 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek. Macomb Dakota (2012) is the last MAC team to win a state title. Other state volleyball champions from the MAC are Fraser High (2003, 2004), Marysville (1997-04, 2006) and Warren Cousino (1977, 1979).
October 05, 2015
Romeo remained undefeated by defeating Macomb Dakota 26-14 in a Macomb Area Conference crossover that paired two of the top-ranked teams in Michigan. Romeo’s defense came into the game having surrendered just 13 points all season, and helped seal the win with a safety and interception return for touchdown by Brad Tanner in the fourth quarter. Romeo earned its first win against Dakota since 2010.