Published August 25, 2014
Romeo High wins MAC volleyball kickoff tournament
By Jason Carmel Davis email@example.com Follow Jason on Twitter.
WARREN — The Romeo High volleyball team downed Grosse Pointe North 2-0 to win the 2014 Macomb Area Conference Volleyball Kickoff Tournament, which took place Aug. 22 at Michigan Elite Volleyball Academy in Warren.
The Bulldogs bested Utica High in the semifinals, while the Norsemen beat Sterling Heights Stevenson to advance to the final match.
The 22-team tournament, featuring 18 teams from the C & G Newspapers coverage area, served as the official start to the 2014 season. Warren Cousino coach Eric Zwierzchowski said the tournament provides each competing team with a chance to show where it stands against some stiff competition, including Romeo High, which advanced to the state quarterfinals in 2013.
Divisional play begins Sept. 16. The state volleyball playoffs start Nov. 3, with the state finals set for Nov. 20-22 at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek. Macomb Dakota (2012) is the last MAC team to win a state title. Other state volleyball champions from the MAC are Fraser High (2003, 2004), Marysville (1997-04, 2006) and Warren Cousino (1977, 1979).
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- College hoops coaches to team up in effort to help ‘beat cancer’ - Bloomfield Hills
- Lake Shore girls soccer coach stressing continual improvement - St. Clair Shores
- Times may be a-changing for Oakland University golf program - Metro Detroit
- OAA boys basketball names honor teams - Oakland County
- L’Anse Creuse baseball eyeing first division title since 2005 - Harrison Township
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing - Eastpointe
- Avondale baseball getting into the swing of things - Troy
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams