St. Clair Shores
Looking Back: Love and marriage — 1907 style
February 18, 2014
Source: Cynthia Bieniek, archivist at the St. Clair Shores Public Library
Photo courtesy of the St. Clair Shores Historical Commission
A century ago, many brides could not afford elaborate white lace wedding dresses, although they were coming into style. This portrait of John Green, Jr. and his bride, Ida Belle Smith, was taken around the time of their marriage on January 16, 1907. The groom and the best man, Arthur Van Howve, wore their Sunday-best suits with white ties. Ida Belle Smith and Mary Green, her maid of honor and the groom’s sister, wore ankle-length skirts and white blouses, decorated with fine lace and French pleats. Their hair was neatly done in the “Gibson Girl” style. The marriage was performed by Fr. John O’Shea.
John Green, Jr. was the son of John Green and Ernestine Selinsky. Ida Belle was the daughter of George Smith and Lillian Bunert. Visit the Selinsky Green Farmhouse Museum to learn more about life in Erin Township in the early 1900s.
This photograph and other images are available to view through the Digital Media Archive on www.scslibrary.org.
- 30 DAYS
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores
- West Bloomfield hopes to ‘eliminate the stigma’ - West Bloomfield
- K-9 to receive bulletproof vest - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Shelby to Utica trail connection work to wrap up Nov. 15 - Shelby Township
- Rochester hires new city manager - Rochester
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- New web series features talents of local actors - St. Clair Shores
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Made in Michigan Festival returns with race, food trucks and more - St. Clair Shores
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township