Bloomfield Hills, Bloomfield Township, Rochester, Rochester HillsMarch 13, 2013
Rochester High beats Bloomfield Hills Lahser for regional title
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
WEST BLOOMFIELD — Rochester High won its first regional championship since 1950 after beating Bloomfield Hills Lahser 65-41 March 13 at West Bloomfield High in the Class A regional final.
"It's been a real long time and everyone is proud," Rochester senior James Young said.
Young helped, leading all scorers with 27 points, including 17 in the second half.
Lahser led 13-7 after the first quarter, but the game soon got away.
"The ball didn't bounce our way; calls didn't go our way. Some things just have to come to an end," Lahser coach Duane Graves said.
Rochester outscored Lahser 16-6 in the second quarter to take a 23-19 lead at the half. The third and fourth quarters were more of the same.
"I think we were playing with some nerves (in the first quarter)," Pleasant said. "We did some things that were out of character, but (Lahser is) a really good team. We're not that much better than them."
The Knights finish the season 17-7 overall.
Rochester goes to 21-4 and plays Detroit Southeastern at 7 p.m. March 19 at Calihan Hall in Detroit.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start