Madison HeightsMarch 5, 2013
Bishop Foley girls basketball defeats Madison to earn trip to regional finals
By Mark Vest
C & G Sports Writer
MADISON HEIGHTS — Madison Heights Bishop Foley's playoff run will continue, as the Ventures defeated Madison Heights Madison 53-39 in a Class C regiional semifinal matchup March 5 at Foley.
Foley trailed Madison 22-19 at the half before scoring the first nine points of the third quarter to take control of the game. Coach Dave Joseph attributes halftime adjustments as the key to the Ventures' victory.
"At halftime, we talked about us keeping our composure a little bit," he said. "I thought we were a little nervous in the first half. We had 12 turnovers. We just needed to take care of the basketball, and I wanted my kids to go to the basket a little more. The other thing we wanted to do was put half-court pressure on. The half-court pressure rattled them a little bit, and we were able to dictate the game and what we wanted to do."
Although the postseason may have ended sooner than he would have preferred, coach Jeff Evans is able to appreciate what his Eagles team was able to accomplish this season, which he said included the program's first district title since 1992.
"I'm happy with what we did," he said. "We have a lot of young players. We've got a lot of people coming back. I anticipate us being competitive for a while."
Foley moves on to face Riverview Gabriel Richard in a regional final, scheduled for 7 p.m. March 7 at Foley.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- South Lake boys golf team shooting for first league title since 2009 - St. Clair Shores
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start