Bloomfield HillsMarch 2, 2013
Cranbrook beats St. Clair in regional final, will face Liggett in quarters
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
BLOOMFIELD HILLS — It was a year ago, in this same round, where the landscape of the Division 3 hockey playoff was greatly altered with an overtime upset.
A year later, the Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood hockey team wasn’t about to allow a repeat performance.
The Cranes kept their playoff dominance rolling Saturday afternoon, claiming a regional title with an 11-0 victory against St. Clair High in a game that was called by mercy after the second period.
“Anything can happen in the playoffs, which is why this is a good win,” coach Andy Weidenbach said after the game. His team lost to Marysville High 2-1 in overtime last year despite being a substantial favorite to win a state title. “We’ve been playing pretty strong all year, and we were able to keep that going here today.”
Cranbrook (25-2-1) wasted little time taking control of the game.
Jeremy Loewenstein scored five minutes into the first period, and Mason Schultz scored his first of two goals 44 seconds later. By the end of the first, Cranbrook led 5-0 and was outshooting St. Clair 34-5.
The Cranes added six more goals in the second period.
Jeff Martin, Shawn O’Malley, Andrew DeClerck, Sam Miletic, Kevin Shand (2), Chris Brown and Austin Alger all scored for Cranbrook.
The Cranes now face Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett in a March 6 quarterfinal at the Farmington Hills Ice Arena.
Liggett, the defending D-3 champ, beat Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day 7-4 in a regional final.
The Cranes won their regional by beating Auburn Hills Avondale 8-0 in the semi and Pontiac Notre Dame Prep 10-0 in the opener.
St. Clair ends the season 6-18-2.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team - Mount Clemens
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley