Macomb TownshipFebruary 5, 2013
Local swimmers shine at Macomb County Championships
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
MACOMB TOWNSHIP — The Warren De La Salle boys swim team proved it’s the best in the area by taking the team title at the 2013 Macomb County Swimming and Diving Championships.
The win gives De La Salle its first county title.
Events took place Feb. 1-2 at Macomb L’Anse Creuse North High School.
“I told them to act like they’ve been there before,” said Pilots coach Jim Singelyn, a De La Salle alum in his fourth year with the program, when asked what he told his team after results had been tallied.
“I told them to be professional and enjoy it, but we’ve still got a lot more to do. The season isn’t over in February. It’s done in March.”
Singelyn was speaking of the Michigan High School Athletic Association state swimming finals, slated for March 8-9 in Holland (Division 1), at Oakland University (D-2) and at Eastern Michigan University (D-3).
The Pilots as a team recorded 310 points, topping Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse, which tallied 238. Macomb Dakota (238), Anchor Bay (187) and Utica Eisenhower (186) round out the top five.
Twenty-one local teams competed in the finals. Clinton Township Chippewa Valley, which captured the 2012 team title, finished eighth with 147 points.
De La Salle swimmer Anton Rapp, a senior, won the 200-yard freestyle title with a time of 1minute, 50.16 seconds, beating out Fraser High’s Hunter Greene by barely one second.
The Pilots’ 200 medley relay team of freshman P.J. Desmet, and seniors Rapp, Jonathan Wolak and Patrick Guyon scored 40 points in winning the relay. The De La Salle quartet, with a time of 1:41.61, beat second-place Ike by nearly five seconds.
In other races, Chippewa Valley junior Ben Pitlock (2:01.46) took first place in the 200 individual medley.
Romeo High senior Danny Abbott won the 50 freestyle with a time of 21.92 seconds. Abbott also placed first in the 100 freestyle with a time of 47.56 seconds to set a meet record and was named Senior Swimmer of the Meet.
Warren Cousino senior Jacob Johnson placed first in the 1-meter diving finals, recording a score of 377.50 points.
L’Anse Creuse senior Logan Jordan (54.22 seconds) won the 100 butterfly race.
Ike junior Mike Hudson won the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:54.44. Hudson also won the 100 backstroke with a time of 56.83 seconds.
L’Anse Creuse (junior Chad Pierce, and seniors Jordan, Nick Valice and Nick Brown) won the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1:32.22. That group also won the 400 freestyle relay with a time of 3:22.32. Valice also took first place in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:02.15.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley baseball beats Bridgman, plays for third D-3 title in three years tomorrow - Madison Heights
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals