Macomb CountyJanuary 25, 2013
A sneak peak at the top MAC hoops matchups for Jan. 25
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
The St. Clair Shores Lake Shore boys basketball team will look to avenge a 23-point loss it suffered Dec. 19 at the hands of St. Clair Shores Lakeview when the city rivals meet in a rematch slated for 7 p.m. Jan. 25 at Lakeview.
The Shorians (4-7, 2-4 Macomb Area Conference Silver Division) will look to right the ship when they battle the Huskies, 8-2, 4-2 MAC Silver. Lakeview bested Lake Shore 66-43 Dec. 19 at South Lake, giving the Huskies a fifth straight win to start the season. The loss to Lakeview halted a two-game win streak for the Shorians.
Lake Shore, which averages 48.5 points per game and allows 57.9, is looking to build a winning streak after a 63-54 win over Center Line Jan. 22. The Huskies (57.8-39.0) are looking to stop a two-game slide. The 39.0 points-per-game allowed is tops in the 36-team MAC.
Madison looks to give Fitzgerald first loss in MAC Blue
Warren Fitzgerald travels to Madison Heights Madison looking to keep its unblemished MAC Blue record in tact.
The Spartans (8-1, 4-0 MAC Blue) and Eagles (4-5, 3-2 Blue) meet at 7 p.m. Jan. 25.
Fitz goes into the battle outscoring opponents by 17.7 points a night (68.3-50.6). The Spartans' 68.3 points per contest is good for third in the conference. Fitz's one loss — Jan. 8 at New Haven — came by four points. Madison comes into the game looking to build some consistency.
The Eagles have won two of three, but have one winning streak this season: a two-game streak in mid-December (wins over Anchor Bay and Clawson).
Dakota girls face off with Ford II in key MAC Red battle
The best offense in the entire MAC will try to solve the fourth-best defense in the conference when Macomb Dakota travels to Utica Ford II in a matchup slated for 5:30 p.m. Jan. 25 at Ford II.
The Cougars and Falcons enter the big MAC Red showdown with a lot in common. Both teams are 11-1, 4-1 MAC Red. Defending state runner-up Grosse Pointe South is also the only team to beat Dakota and Ford II.
The Cougars are riding a four-game win streak since Jan. 8 two-point setback at GPS, while the Falcons are looking to bounce back from a Jan. 22, 22-point loss at the hands of South.
Dakota goes into the battle averaging a MAC best 57.7 points per game. Ford II's defense (35.0 points allowed) sits at fourth in the conference.
Both teams have had several big wins this season. All but one of the Cougars' wins has been by double digits, while the Falcons have six wins by more than 24 points.
For a complete listing of the Jan. 25 MAC boys and girls matchups, check http://macombmac.misd.net/.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Mercy powers past Ladywood to claim first Catholic League crown since 2003 - Farmington Hills
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start