Sterling HeightsJanuary 21, 2013
Cousino girls bowling team wins Macomb County Tourney
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
The Warren Cousino girls bowling team knocked off Macomb L'Anse Creuse North 545-512 to win the 2013 Macomb County Bowling Championships, held Jan. 19 at Sunny Brook Golf and Bowl in Sterling Heights.
The Patriots finished ahead of 15 other squads that qualified for the championship round the morning of Jan. 19. Twenty-two girls teams in all competed in the event.
On its way to the finals, Cousino bested Roseville, Utica Eisenhower and St. Clair Shores Lakeview. LCN took down Warren Woods Tower, Utica Stevenson and Richmond before falling to the Patriots in the finals. Richmond and Lakeview's girls teams finished third and fourth, respectively.
On the boys side, Romeo beat Macomb Dakota 718-624 to capture the team title.
Romeo got by Utica Ford II, Utica High and Richmond to advance to the finals. The Cougars outlasted Clinton Township Chippewa Valley, Roseville and Anchor Bay before falling in the title match.
Twenty-four boys teams from county schools participated in the championships.
Dakota's Solnik takes girls' singles title; Lakeview's Cunha wins boys
Dakota's Marissa Solnik tallied a score of 682 over three games to win the girls individual title at the county championships. Solnik averaged a 227.3 over three games.
Utica Stevenson's Lauren Krywy (635), LCN's Alyssa Meade (626), Ike's Haley Zynda (624) and Stevenson's Renee Spicuzza (608) round out the top five.
Solnik beat out 156 girls for the title.
St. Clair Shores Lakeview's Mitchell Cunha tallied a 791 over three games to take home the boys individual title at the county championships. Cunha averaged a 263.6 on his way to the title.
Roseville's Mike Hamilton (764), Warren Mott's David Stroshein (757), Utica High's Adam Young (740) and Tower's Mike Pagano (726) round out the top five.
Cunha bested 160 bowlers to win the championship.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team - Mount Clemens
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Mount Clemens High grad takes over as coach of baseball team
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley