BerkleyNovember 14, 2012
Berkley-Ferndale rolls in season opener, beats Pinckney High 8-1
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
BERKLEY — After setting a program record with 22 wins a year ago, Jeff Fleming said he’s hoping people understand those kinds of results aren’t typical for any team every single year.
His guys may have created some doubt in that Wednesday night.
The Berkley-Ferndale Unified hockey team kicked off the 2012-13 season in grand style Nov. 14, rolling past Pinckney High 8-1 in the season opener at home.
“Not a bad way to start for our guys,” Fleming said with a laugh. “We got great goaltending, and for a first game, the kids really played well together.”
Ian Melrose got the scoring started roughly eight minutes into the first period.
Alex Rawlik and Curtis Carne also scored in the opening frame to give the Bears a 3-0 lead.
Nolan Young and Joey Leider scored in the second.
Melrose added his second of the game in the third, and then Zack Segall and Gianni Bonello capped the scoring.
“I really wasn’t expecting that,” Fleming said of the offense. “I’m glad to see it, though. The kids skated hard, moved the puck and were able to capitalize. I think we used our speed and were very unselfish.”
All-State goalie Stephen Wroe picked up right where he left off last year, finishing the game with 16 saves.
The Unified squad will be back in action Nov. 16 against Grand Rapids Kenowa Hills at the Northern Lights Arena in Alpena.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Groves volleyball gives back - Birmingham
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start