WarrenOctober 15, 2012
De La Salle soccer team bests Cousino 5-0 in district quarterfinal
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
WARREN — His team won its Division 1 Michigan High School Athletic Association state soccer district quarterfinal 5-0 over Warren Cousino Oct. 15 at Macomb community College, and Warren De La Salle coach Reid Friedrichs said his team must be more consistent over the course of a match if it hopes to have a deep playoff run.
"We scored our first goal a minute and a half in, then we relaxed because we thought we were going to get 30 breakaways," said Friedrichs, in his first year with the Pilots (10-1-10). "We were unorganized. We can't continue to play like that."
De La Salle will face Fraser in a district semifinal, set for 5 p.m. Oct. 17 at Clinton Township Chippewa Valley. The Ramblers beat Sterling Heights High 5-0 in their opening-round game.
The Pilots' first goal came at the 38:37 mark of the first half on a penalty shot by midfielder Steve Lockhart after a pushing violation was called.
De La Salle tallied two more first half goals — a point-blank shot by midfielder Romano Sbrocca with 20:42 remaining and a score with five seconds left in the half by forward Austin Willenbrock off of a rebound.
"It's tough to play from behind like that, especially when you get behind early," said Patriots coach Anthony Sorrentino, whose team ends the season with a record of 6-12-1. "We got a little deflated after that first score, but I'm happy with how the guys fought."
The Pilots would net two more goals in the second half. Defenseman Christopher Ruebelman dropped a shot in off a rebound with 26:13 to play to give De La Salle a 4-0 lead. Jacob Kowalski made it 5-0 Pilots when he scored with 1:45 left.
"We played much better in the second half," Friedrichs said. "The goal in the playoffs is to win, and that's what we did."
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- South Lake boys golf team shooting for first league title since 2009 - St. Clair Shores
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start