Grosse PointesJune 15, 2012
Liggett rolls into state final
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
BATTLE CREEK — Playing the earliest game of the 2012 state semifinals certainly didn’t bother the Grosse Pointe Woods University Liggett baseball team.
Not much has this year, though.
The Knights, back in Battle Creek for the second straight season, opened play in the Division 4 semifinals with a commanding 15-3 victory against Rudyard High in a game that started at 10 a.m. and was called after five innings.
“Our guys really battled,” Knights coach Dan Cimini said. “We took advantage of some of their mistakes, but I like how we played.”
Liggett (25-3) got things rolling right away, scoring twice in the first inning on a two-RBI double by junior Connor Fannon.
The Knights added two more in the second inning, but blew the game wide open with 10 runs on five hits in the third. The offensive outburst was assisted by three Rudyard errors in the frame.
Junior Mark Evan Auk got things going with a two-run single in the frame.
Senior Alex Daar added an RBI single of his own and later scored on a wild pitch.
But the big blast came courtesy of junior Kevin Allen, who slammed a three-run home run to deep right field.
Liggett added its final run in the bottom of the fourth.
Rudyard (20-17) scored once in the fourth and twice in the fifth, but Fannon, who earned the win on the mound, otherwise limited any Bulldogs chances.
“The experience of being here last year was huge,” Cimini added. “We went through the exact same routine as last time, ate at the same place and so on. The guys were way more relaxed.”
Liggett moves on the D-4 final with a chance to defend its 2011 title.
The Knights face Decatur High (35-6) in a 9:30 a.m. June 16 game at C.O. Brown Stadium.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- South Lake boys golf team shooting for first league title since 2009 - St. Clair Shores
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start