Grosse PointesJune 15, 2012
Liggett baseball in semifinal action — LIVE UPDATES
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
BATTLE CREEK — Grosse Pointe University Liggett takes center stage in the state baseball tournament today in Battle Creek. The Knights take on Rudyard at 10 a.m. in a Division 4 state semifinal.
Sports writer Mike Moore is in Battle Creek and will be posting live updates from the game.
We'll also bring you live coverage of the Warren De La Salle game, as the Pilots take on Howell at noon and when Madison Heights Bishop Foley tangles with Saginaw Nouvel at 4 p.m.
You can email Mike questions or comments during the game at email@example.com.
Liggett makes it official, moves on to the D-4 state final with 15-3 victory. Web game with quotes will be posted soon.
Liggett adds another run in the bottom of the fourth, leads 15-1 as we go to the fifth. Three outs from an appearence in the D-4 final for a second straight year.
Rudyard is on the board. An infield error allows the first run for the Bulldogs. Liggett coming to bat in the bottom of the fourth and leading 14-1.
Nate Gaggin rips a line-drive triple that scored two more runs. Rudyard finally got out of the inning, but not before Liggett scored 10 runs on five hits and took advantage of three errors. Knights lead 14-0 as we start the fourth. Pitcher Connor Fannon is back on the hill after nearly 30 minutes.
Liggett is officially in cruise control now. Junior Kevin Allen ripped a three-run home run to deep right field. The Knights lead 12-0 and are still batting in the bottom of the third.
Liggett bats are making a long day for Rudyard pitcher Jake Harrison. A couple more errors by the Bulldogs, and a line-drive, two-RBI single by Liggett's Mark Van Auk has the Knights up 7-0 and still batting in the bottom of the third.
Liggett added two more runs in the second inning and then Rudyard left the bases loaded. Knights lead 4-0.
Perfect day here in Battle Creek. Almost 80 degrees and sunny. Long first inning in the books and Liggett is up 2-0. The key hit came from Connor Fannon, who ripped a two-RBI double. Liggett left the bases loaded to end the inning.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start