Woman reports attempted armed robbery at Kmart
January 15, 2013
WARREN — A 63-year-old Chesterfield Township woman told police she was unhurt during a confrontation with an armed man who demanded money from her in the parking lot of Kmart near 13 Mile and Schoenherr Jan. 11.
According to a police report, the woman said a 20-year-old black man, about 6 feet tall with a gray hooded sweatshirt, approached her with a handgun in the store’s parking lot at about 10 p.m.
The suspect reportedly pointed the gun at the woman’s face and demanded cash as she was loading items into her vehicle.
“She slapped the gun. He pushed her down and took off running,” Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said.
The woman said the suspect fled the parking lot on foot after he pushed her to the ground. The man was last seen running north through the lot toward a nearby apartment complex.
Employees from Kmart reportedly heard the woman scream and exited the store to help her to her feet.
Police were reviewing the store’s security video footage to determine if the suspect was captured on camera.
Anyone with information about the case can contact Warren detectives at (586) 574-4810.
- 30 DAYS
- Body of Southfield fire chief found in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Friends don’t steal from the dead’ - Farmington Hills
- Roseville man arrested for alleged kidnapping and torture - Roseville
- Back-to-School Bonanza prepares needy kids for fall - Rochester
- Shelby dentist makes impact in Haiti - Shelby Township
- Bike network to connect six Woodward communities - Ferndale
- Hartwell resigns from council to run for mayor - Madison Heights
- Fatal crash occurs on Hayes Road - Macomb Township
- New boutique focuses on power of positivity - Madison Heights
- Suspicious man reported near school playground - St. Clair Shores
- Great Lakes water levels reach highest point since 1998 - Metro Detroit
- Allegedly drunken driver runs stop sign, crashes into business - Harrison Township
- Farmers market coming July 26 - St. Clair Shores
- Gone with the graffiti - Utica