Woman reports attempted armed robbery at Kmart
January 15, 2013
WARREN — A 63-year-old Chesterfield Township woman told police she was unhurt during a confrontation with an armed man who demanded money from her in the parking lot of Kmart near 13 Mile and Schoenherr Jan. 11.
According to a police report, the woman said a 20-year-old black man, about 6 feet tall with a gray hooded sweatshirt, approached her with a handgun in the store’s parking lot at about 10 p.m.
The suspect reportedly pointed the gun at the woman’s face and demanded cash as she was loading items into her vehicle.
“She slapped the gun. He pushed her down and took off running,” Warren Police Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills said.
The woman said the suspect fled the parking lot on foot after he pushed her to the ground. The man was last seen running north through the lot toward a nearby apartment complex.
Employees from Kmart reportedly heard the woman scream and exited the store to help her to her feet.
Police were reviewing the store’s security video footage to determine if the suspect was captured on camera.
Anyone with information about the case can contact Warren detectives at (586) 574-4810.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
- 30 DAYS
- Fraser High band to perform at college football bowl game - Fraser
- Driver in crash that killed teen faces murder charge - Sterling Heights
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- New Fraser council members sworn in - Fraser
- Harper reopened for traffic - St. Clair Shores
- No injuries after shot fired during robbery - Roseville
- Students share words of thanks during holiday week - Clawson
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights