Woman inexplicably stabs security guard at Northland
October 23, 2013
SOUTHFIELD — A 26-year-old security guard on duty at Northland Shopping Center had a strange encounter with a woman last week that landed him in the hospital after she repeatedly stabbed him with a knife.
According to Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department, the security officer — in full uniform and a marked car — was patrolling around the perimeter of the mall, located at 21500 Northwestern Highway, just after 3:30 p.m. Oct. 14 when a woman began to flag him over.
The woman was standing alone near the maintenance building by Greenfield Road, and the security guard reportedly drove over and rolled the window down to assist the woman.
“He asked her if she needed directions, and as soon as he finished asking the question, she pulled out a knife and began stabbing him on his left arm,” Loussia said. “He suffered several lacerations on his forearm and was cut several more times in the palm of his hand while trying to get the knife from the suspect.”
The guard was able to force the knife from the woman and drive away, putting distance between the two, according to the report. During that time, the woman fled on foot.
In his report, the victim noted that the woman never said a word during the encounter and that he had no idea why she waved him over. He described her as a 20-year-old black woman with a dark complexion, about 5 feet 5 inches tall, 140 pounds, dressed in blue jeans and a blue button-down shirt.
The victim was transported to Providence Hospital to be treated for his cuts. Officers who responded to the scene confiscated the knife during the investigation and searched the area, but the woman was not found.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Southfield Police Department at (248) 796-5500.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores