SOUTHFIELD — The Southfield Police Department is investigating an incident that occurred early Sunday morning at a local nightclub that left one woman dead.
Police received a report of gunshots fired at Myst Ultra Lounge, located on Franklin Road, near Northwestern Highway and 12 Mile roads, at around 2:17 a.m. March 31, according to Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department.
When responding officers arrived at the scene, they located an unidentified woman inside the club who was suffering from a gunshot wound, he said. She was transported to Beaumont Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Later, the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the woman as 33-year-old Nicole Riggs.
Based on a preliminary investigation, it appears that several patrons of the club had been asked to leave after an altercation that happened inside. The press release issued by the Southfield Police Department noted that “mention was made of retrieving weapons and returning,” and soon after, shots were fired into the club from the parking lot.
Loussia said there are no suspects in custody at this time and that no more information is being released, as to not hinder the investigation.
A shooting was also reported earlier this year at Myst Ultra Lounge, police reports indicated, though it was not fatal. On Jan. 27, a 21-year-old Detroit man was taken to Providence Hospital from the club after being shot in the leg at around 2:30 a.m.
The man had reportedly just left the club and was walking with friends on Franklin when a black Dodge Charger was seen following closely behind. The man’s injuries were not life-threatening, Loussia noted after the incident.
Management at Myst Ultra Lounge could not be reached for comment.
Anyone with any information regarding the March 31 shooting is asked to call the Southfield Police Department at (248) 796-5500.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township