SOUTHFIELD — The Southfield Police Department is investigating an incident that occurred early Sunday morning at a local nightclub that left one woman dead.
Police received a report of gunshots fired at Myst Ultra Lounge, located on Franklin Road, near Northwestern Highway and 12 Mile roads, at around 2:17 a.m. March 31, according to Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department.
When responding officers arrived at the scene, they located an unidentified woman inside the club who was suffering from a gunshot wound, he said. She was transported to Beaumont Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Later, the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office identified the woman as 33-year-old Nicole Riggs.
Based on a preliminary investigation, it appears that several patrons of the club had been asked to leave after an altercation that happened inside. The press release issued by the Southfield Police Department noted that “mention was made of retrieving weapons and returning,” and soon after, shots were fired into the club from the parking lot.
Loussia said there are no suspects in custody at this time and that no more information is being released, as to not hinder the investigation.
A shooting was also reported earlier this year at Myst Ultra Lounge, police reports indicated, though it was not fatal. On Jan. 27, a 21-year-old Detroit man was taken to Providence Hospital from the club after being shot in the leg at around 2:30 a.m.
The man had reportedly just left the club and was walking with friends on Franklin when a black Dodge Charger was seen following closely behind. The man’s injuries were not life-threatening, Loussia noted after the incident.
Management at Myst Ultra Lounge could not be reached for comment.
Anyone with any information regarding the March 31 shooting is asked to call the Southfield Police Department at (248) 796-5500.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Woman bound over to circuit court on child abuse charge - Eastpointe
- Beaumont Hospital tops off Proton Therapy Center - Royal Oak
- Local entrepreneur finds life mission through baking - Clinton Township
- New bill hopes to curb inhumane puppy mill operations - Lansing
- West Bloomfield PD tests out new software - West Bloomfield
- Township board approves expansion of C.J. Barrymore’s - Clinton Township
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores