RosevilleSeptember 25, 2013
Woman in critical condition after son allegedly assaults her
By Kevin Bunch
C & G Staff Writer
Thomas Joseph Gulas
ROSEVILLE — A 77-year-old woman has been hospitalized in critical condition following reports that she had been beaten in a hotel parking lot Sept. 18.
According to Roseville police, the woman’s son, Thomas Joseph Gulas, 35, of Eastpointe, has been arrested and arraigned in 39th District Court in connection with the attack, for one count of assault with intent to do great bodily harm, as well as two counts of malicious destruction of property. Gulas pleaded not guilty to all charges.
The department’s press release said that at about 11 p.m., officers responded to phone calls reporting a man beating an elderly woman in the Super 8 hotel parking lot on Little Mack Avenue. The woman was found unconscious and suffering from “extensive” head and face trauma.
“The victim suffered severe head trauma and may have suffered bleeding on the brain,” Police Chief James Berlin said Sept. 20. “Last check, she was still listed in critical condition.”
The department said that witnesses reported a man had been arguing with the woman over the use of her car before striking her until she fell to the ground. The man then reportedly damaged six vehicles in the lot and ran off.
“He broke out the windshields of several cars, side-view mirrors, dents from kicking cars, etc.,” Berlin said.
Police arrested Gulas, alleging he called his mother for a ride and then demanded her car before attacking her when she refused. It is unknown if the victim will survive her injuries, according to the department’s press release.
A preliminary exam date of Oct. 2 has been set. Gulas requested a court-appointed lawyer who had not been appointed as of press time.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Man robs Roseville bank - Roseville
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Voters approve human rights ordinance - Royal Oak
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Digital diet could help put emotions, priorities in shape