Royal OakAugust 1, 2012
Witnesses report man walked into traffic on I-696
By Chris Jackett
C & G Staff Writer
Traffic on westbound I-696 was shut down for about 90 minutes July 29 after a resident was hit while traveling across the freeway on foot.
A 24-year-old Royal Oak man sustained head injuries when he was hit by a 2007 four-door Chrysler while he was in the westbound lane of I-696, just west of Mohawk Avenue, at about 4:25 a.m. Neither of the two people in the vehicle was injured.
“He was transported to Beaumont by the Royal Oak Fire Department,” said Lt. Michael Shaw of the Michigan State Police Metro North Post #21 in Oak Park. “Witnesses reported that he was actually trying to step in front of different cars. He wasn’t responsive out on the scene.”
The man was in critical condition after the incident, and police do not know where he was coming from beforehand. Alcohol was not thought to be a factor for either the man or the driver.
Royal Oak and Ferndale police assisted at the scene, as the incident occurred on the border between the two cities.
“We did assist them,” Royal Oak Police Lt. Tom Goad said. “We did locate some friends of the person struck, but all of the investigation portion of it was handled by Michigan State Police.”
Shaw said Beaumont would provide the man any treatment necessary from the incident and also any further help if he was attempting suicide.
“The trooper will probably go over and talk to him about what his wishes are,” Shaw said of the next few days after the man recovers. “Witnesses just saw him come in off the embankment.”
Anyone who may have witnessed the crash should contact the MSP at (248) 584-5740.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi