WB high school teacher charged with criminal sexual conduct
September 14, 2013
A West Bloomfield High School teacher and girls varsity golf coach was released on bond Sept. 13 after his arraignment for three misdemeanor counts of criminal sexual conduct in the fourth-degree.
Steve Larkin pleaded not guilty in 48th District Court to the charges and was ordered to wear a GPS tether until his preliminary exam Sept. 17. He was released on a $10,000 cash bond.
According West Bloomfield Police Lt. Tim Diamond, the fourth-degree charges allegedly involved inappropriate touching of a former 16-year-old student in a high school classroom in May. Each charge is punishable by two years of jail and/or a $500 fine.
“We obtained the warrants (Sept. 12), and he turned himself in voluntarily this morning with his attorney,” said Diamond. “At this time, these are allegations, and he is innocent until proven guilty.”
Larkin has been with the West Bloomfield School district since 2006, teaching history and social studies. In addition to his position as the varsity golf coach, he is a former junior varsity football coach and former girls varsity basketball coach.
The district placed Larkin on paid administration leave May 31 after the allegation was brought to officials’ attention, according to Pam Zajac, public relations and marketing coordinator of West Bloomfield School District.
Ray Correll, Larkin’s attorney, could not be immediately reached for comment.
- 30 DAYS
- Homeless man’s body found in Clinton River - Harrison Township
- Fireworks damage house, SUV over July 4 holiday - St. Clair Shores
- Police take attempted carjacking suspect into custody - Grosse Pointe Park
- Couple assaulted after fireworks show - West Bloomfield
- Madison district asks voters to approve bond for new middle school - Madison Heights
- East Detroit approves positive budget - Eastpointe
- Hazel Park voters to decide continuation of reduced police millage Aug. 4 - Hazel Park
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- New festival comes to Mount Clemens this week - Mount Clemens
- Police identify man who drowned at Stony Creek - Shelby Township
- Huntington Woods author sees her essays about child’s passing published - Huntington Woods