A 36-year-old Warren resident died at the scene of an accident after losing control while exiting Interstate 696 onto 11 Mile shortly after midnight Sept. 3, according to police information.
He was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. The motorcyclist struck the freeway overpass fencing. Police were unsure at press time whether alcohol was involved in the accident.
His 24-year-old passenger, a woman from St. Clair Shores, was taken to a local hospital where she was last listed in “extremely grave condition” with massive injuries to her head. She wasn’t wearing a helmet, either.
“The preliminary investigation has led investigators to believe that the driver of the motorcycle exited the freeway at an extremely high rate of speed,” police stated in a news release. “It is believed that due to the high rate of speed, the victim was unable to negotiate a bend in the road way at the top of the ramp. Unable to make the turn, the victim crashed head-on into the protective wall and fencing that lines the overpass taking 11 Mile Road over I-696.”
The Roseville Police Department’s Major Crash Investigation Team is continuing the investigation into the accident.
- 30 DAYS
- City stunned by loss of councilman - St. Clair Shores
- Three house fires reported in one day in Harper Woods - Harper Woods
- Pit bull awareness effort to benefit Madison Heights Animal Shelter - Madison Heights
- Hive of activity will continue - Warren
- Multitasking your workout - Metro Detroit
- ‘She’s only 8 and she’s been through hell’ - Harrison Township
- Halloween coming early to Red Oaks Nature Center, Golf Course - Madison Heights
- Teacher uses bracelets to spread positive behavior - Roseville
- Roseville teacher honored for 48 years of service - Roseville
- Men steal thousands in cigarettes - St. Clair Shores
- Serious crash occurs at 23 Mile and Schoenherr - Shelby Township
- Police say deceased man found below tower likely took own life - Shelby Township
- Woman killed in boating accident on Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- EPA work to close Harper Avenue for weeks - St. Clair Shores