WARREN — The seeds for weekly fresh produce sales, merchandise vendors and live entertainment were planted in 2007 when Warren hosted its first Sunday farmers market at City Square, east of Van Dyke and north of 12 Mile Road.
The city added a Saturday farmers market on July 6 at the Owen Jax Recreation Center on Nine Mile east of Van Dyke.
The concept is still growing, and Warren Parks and Recreation Director Henry Bowman said he hopes both markets, each somewhat unique in its offerings, will continue to blossom.
“The market over there (at Owen Jax), we’ve got a little different kind of a setup,” Bowman said. “It’s more of a market market.”
He said the Saturday market at Owen Jax offers fresh locally grown produce. There are also events for kids, and free yoga at 9:30 a.m. at the market.
Warren City Council member Kelly Colegio said the Owen Jax market is also a great place to learn about the city’s growing number of community gardens. The nearby Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church, which opened a garden last year to supplement its food pantry benefiting the surrounding community, sends volunteers to share information about the garden and the programs it fuels.
“I think it’s exciting to see some more activity brought to that area and I think it’s good to see the farmers market kind of springboard off of the community garden at Mt. Calvary,” Colegio said. “It’s uniting the community.”
Bowman said a lack of vendor participation led to the cancellation of Wednesday farmers markets at City Square last year, but that the Sunday markets are going strong as a “Sunday destination for families.” The Sunday market also offers kids programs throughout the day and free yoga at 9:30 a.m., and the city has been using the venue to audition musicians interested in taking part in the “Battle of the Bands” at Warren’s Birthday Bash Aug. 23-26.
Both Warren farmers markets offer incentives to buy Michigan-grown fruits and vegetables, and vendors now accept the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program’s Electronic Benefit Transfer cards.
Warren’s farmers market at Owen Jax is expected to run from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Saturday through Sept. 21. The farmers market at City Square will run on Sundays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. through the end of October.
For more information, call (586) 268-8400.
- 30 DAYS
- Brothers start nonprofit activity program for children with special needs - Ferndale
- Ride to explore sights of St. Clair Shores - St. Clair Shores
- BHS junior’s personal essay brings national writing recognition - Berkley
- Local families participate in kidney walk - Macomb Township
- New Kroger could be finished by Thanksgiving - Roseville
- Kyte Monroe Park rededicated to ensure coach’s legacy lives on - St. Clair Shores
- New Village bar and restaurant offers nod to Prohibition history - Grosse Pointe City
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township
- Madison district plans next phase of consolidated campus - Madison Heights
- Young boy shot in head - Clinton Township