Macomb CountyNovember 7, 2012
Wahby wins fifth term as county treasurer
By Julie Snyder
C & G Staff Writer
Longtime Macomb County Treasurer Ted Wahby retained his seat after taking 58 percent of the vote in the general election.
Wahby, an 81-year-old Democrat living in St. Clair Shores, was being challenged by Clinton Township Republican Larry Rocca.
Rocca, the owner of Universal Real Estate, nonetheless made a strong effort and came out with 41 percent of the county vote.
Wahby is a former St. Clair Shores city councilman and mayor, and has been the county treasurer since 1995.
He said he’s pleased that he will be able to continue his work helping the community remain stable in an unstable economy.
“Our biggest concern has always been to keep people from losing their home or their business,” he said. “We’ve put in a lot of effort each year helping people and encouraging financial institutions to promote business in the area.
“The key is to encourage industry, create jobs,” he continued. “One very nice this is we’ve never taken an occupied home or business. We want to continue to keep the neighborhood stable and help people through difficult times.”
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Business owner slain outside restaurant - Harper Woods
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- Christmas Bird Count draws near - Macomb County
- Former Berkley mayor offers to repair clock she donated to city - Berkley
- City purse snatcher still at large - Grosse Pointe City
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi