Wahby wins fifth term as county treasurer
By Julie Snyder
November 7, 2012
Longtime Macomb County Treasurer Ted Wahby retained his seat after taking 58 percent of the vote in the general election.
Wahby, an 81-year-old Democrat living in St. Clair Shores, was being challenged by Clinton Township Republican Larry Rocca.
Rocca, the owner of Universal Real Estate, nonetheless made a strong effort and came out with 41 percent of the county vote.
Wahby is a former St. Clair Shores city councilman and mayor, and has been the county treasurer since 1995.
He said he’s pleased that he will be able to continue his work helping the community remain stable in an unstable economy.
“Our biggest concern has always been to keep people from losing their home or their business,” he said. “We’ve put in a lot of effort each year helping people and encouraging financial institutions to promote business in the area.
“The key is to encourage industry, create jobs,” he continued. “One very nice this is we’ve never taken an occupied home or business. We want to continue to keep the neighborhood stable and help people through difficult times.”
About the author
Staff Writer Julie Snyder covers Harrison Township, Mount Clemens, Macomb County, L’Anse Creuse Public Schools, and Mount Clemens Community Schools for the Journal. She has worked for C & G Newspapers since 2003, and attended the University of Toledo with degrees in journalism and photography. Julie has received several awards for her work in Arizona and Washington, including AP awards in Arizona for breaking news reporting and feature writing.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville