UticaJuly 24, 2012
Utica, Troy police team to arrest burglar
By Brad D. Bates
C & G Staff Writer
Utica police arrested a man after he allegedly broke into a home in the 45000 block of Vanker at roughly midnight July 23.
Utica officers were alerted to a home invasion by a surveillance team from the Troy Police Department, which was following the suspect, who was connected to a theft in Auburn Hills and had an open warrant for burglary out of Clinton Township July 23.
The team from Troy said they observed the suspect, Drew Giddings, commit the home invasion on Vanker, near Flickinger Elementary, and requested assistance from Utica in the form of a traffic stop on his vehicle.
“They were tailing this guy, and once he chose a house in Utica to enter they contacted us,” Utica Police Chief David Faber said.
Utica officers stopped Giddings, a 29-year-old Rochester Hills man, in a gold 1999 Jeep Cherokee at Grant Park on Hahn Road, arrested him for home invasion and transported him to Utica police headquarters.
Upon investigation of the home, police noted that a back door leading from the garage had damage to its lock and frame, and a rear window, which had been open because of the excessive heat, had its screen cut.
The home had been vacant for two years after its occupant passed away, but the former occupant’s daughter, who lives next door, said nothing of value was missing and the damage to the home was not there as recently as July 22.
Faber said he was unsure if Giddings was connected to any other home invasions in Utica.
“We’re still checking some pawn receipts from him to see if anything matches stuff from our prior home invasions,” Faber said.
While Giddings was booked, a small blue flashlight was removed from his person and placed in evidence, and his cellphone was confiscated and forwarded to Auburn Hills police, which had a search warrant for his phone.
After obtaining a search warrant for Giddings’ vehicle from 41-A District Court, officers found a pair of black gloves, a flathead screwdriver, a red flashlight and an ear light in the vehicle. Police also found a stolen credit card that was reported missing out of Auburn Hills.
After finding the credit card, a charge of possession of stolen property was added to the home invasion charges.
Giddings was arraigned July 23, and told the court he is retaining attorney Randall Lewis for his defense. Calls placed to Lewis’ office were not retuned at press time.
“He was arraigned and transferred to Macomb County Jail on our charges,” Faber said. “(Other jurisdictions) can have a crack at him now.”
Giddings’ preliminary exam is scheduled for Aug. 6 at 41-A District Court.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi