Two charged with robbery, murder in Warren man’s death

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published April 3, 2017



WARREN — Before he was shot and killed March 27, Marcus Samuel reportedly told police he’d overheard a woman at his home, conspiring to rob him.

That woman, allegedly Brittny Lee Fulwylie, 23, of Highland Park, and Donald Robinson, 23, of Detroit, are now in custody facing robbery and murder charges in Samuel’s death.

“We knew her name was Brittny, and the victim was supposed to take her to a wedding,” said Detective Sgt. Stephen Mills of the Warren Police Department. “From the invitation, we were able to get her name from the victim’s brother.”

Fulwylie was arrested in Southfield on March 29, and arraigned in the 37th District Court on charges of first-degree murder, felony murder and armed robbery on March 31. She remained held in the Macomb County Jail at press time with bail set at $1 million.

Mills said the investigation later led police to Robinson, who may have been in a relationship with Fulwylie at some point. He was arrested at a home in Clinton Township on March 30 and was arraigned April 3 on murder, armed robbery and weapons charges. He was ordered held without bond.   

Investigators believe Facebook posts showing a large amount of cash and jewelry may have motivated the pair to hatch a plan to rob Samuel, 38. He was shot dead after he apparently exited his vehicle in front of his home in the 23000 block of Stewart, north of Nine Mile just west of Hayes, at about 10 p.m. March 27.

As previously reported by C & G Newspapers, Warren police dispatchers took a call from Samuel at 9:50 p.m. that night.  He reportedly told the operator he was using his phone to monitor a conversation inside of his home and that he overheard a woman, now identified by police as Fulwylie, speaking with another person about a plan to rob him.

Mills said Samuel was advised to wait for police at the corner of Nine Mile and Stewart,  but that he apparently returned to his home, where he was shot multiple times. Police arrived at the house a short time after the initial call, after dispatch operators took another call from the neighborhood reporting shots fired.

Bill Huber, 59, who lives across the street from Samuel’s residence, said he heard six gunshots and went outside, where he found Samuel dead in the street.

Mills said detectives believe it was Robinson who shot and killed Samuel after he arrived back at the house.

Both suspects requested court-appointed attorneys at their arraignments, according to court records. They were next due back in court for a probable cause conference at 9:30 a.m. April 13 before Judge John Chmura. They face up to life in prison if convicted.