SOUTHFIELD — A 24-year-old Detroit man is in custody after leaving the scene of a crash that left one motorist dead, according to Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department.
The crash happened just after 7:30 a.m. March 24. According to police, the man was traveling north on Telegraph road, north of Eight Mile Road, when he struck another northbound vehicle. The impact on that vehicle forced a third car into the median, where it struck a tree, killing the driver, Sharon Underwood, a 51-year-old from Livonia.
“The female driver of the third vehicle had to be extricated from her vehicle, but unfortunately that driver suffered fatal injuries,” the press release stated. “The driver of the first vehicle fled from the scene on foot, but was apprehended a short distance away by Southfield police officers.”
Loussia said the suspect is currently in custody and charges are pending, though no further details have been released yet.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Southfield Police Department at (248) 796-5500.
- 30 DAYS
- When time is short, some tips to start your round off right - Metro Detroit
- Woman faces child abuse charges after infant found injured - Eastpointe
- Event will make splash in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Mother of all buyouts’ comes to Farmington Public Schools - Farmington Hills
- The pieces come together for library mosaic mural - Sterling Heights
- Birmingham’s Rick Joseph is state’s top teacher - Bloomfield Hills
- ‘Get into the pit’ or enjoy some ‘pop’ - Chesterfield Township
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township