SOUTHFIELD — A 24-year-old Detroit man is in custody after leaving the scene of a crash that left one motorist dead, according to Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department.
The crash happened just after 7:30 a.m. March 24. According to police, the man was traveling north on Telegraph road, north of Eight Mile Road, when he struck another northbound vehicle. The impact on that vehicle forced a third car into the median, where it struck a tree, killing the driver, Sharon Underwood, a 51-year-old from Livonia.
“The female driver of the third vehicle had to be extricated from her vehicle, but unfortunately that driver suffered fatal injuries,” the press release stated. “The driver of the first vehicle fled from the scene on foot, but was apprehended a short distance away by Southfield police officers.”
Loussia said the suspect is currently in custody and charges are pending, though no further details have been released yet.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Southfield Police Department at (248) 796-5500.
- 30 DAYS
- Woman carjacked outside Lakeside Mall - Sterling Heights
- Armed suspect robs restaurant patron - Grosse Pointes
- Berkley, Ferndale named top places for young professionals in metro Detroit - Berkley
- State says to watch for invasive beetle on Michigan’s doorstep - Metro Detroit
- Man arrested after Harrison Township home invasion - Harrison Township
- Police searching for serial poop-smearing suspects - Utica
- Man found dead in prayer position in front yard of home - Troy
- Shopping center, Kroger coming to 26 Mile and Van Dyke - Shelby Township
- From shipping container to residential development - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Township native sings her way into finals of ‘America’s Got Talent’ - Macomb Township
- Woman killed in head-on collision on Lake Shore - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Crash survivor arraigned on alcohol charge - Shelby Township
- From student to principal - Clinton Township
- Put proper hydration on your summer to-do list - Metro Detroit