SOUTHFIELD — A 24-year-old Detroit man is in custody after leaving the scene of a crash that left one motorist dead, according to Lt. Nick Loussia of the Southfield Police Department.
The crash happened just after 7:30 a.m. March 24. According to police, the man was traveling north on Telegraph road, north of Eight Mile Road, when he struck another northbound vehicle. The impact on that vehicle forced a third car into the median, where it struck a tree, killing the driver, Sharon Underwood, a 51-year-old from Livonia.
“The female driver of the third vehicle had to be extricated from her vehicle, but unfortunately that driver suffered fatal injuries,” the press release stated. “The driver of the first vehicle fled from the scene on foot, but was apprehended a short distance away by Southfield police officers.”
Loussia said the suspect is currently in custody and charges are pending, though no further details have been released yet.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Southfield Police Department at (248) 796-5500.
- 30 DAYS
- Police warn residents of IRS phone scam - Clawson
- Fire Department seeks a few good men and women - Troy
- Local chef, culinary students help those in need this Thanksgiving - St. Clair Shores
- Woman dies after police find her unresponsive in car - Royal Oak
- Downtown Birmingham rolls out new logo, holiday perks - Birmingham
- New women’s center focuses on pregnant teens - Eastpointe
- Holiday plays planned in Eastpointe - Eastpointe
- Ghost hunters report paranormal activity at Octagon House - Washington Township
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Hollywood actress partners with Clawson women in warming cause - Clawson
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County