Orchard LakeJune 19, 2013
Teen arrested for domestic terrorism back in court June 21
By Sherri Kolade
C & G Staff Writer
ORCHARD LAKE — A 16-year-old Detroit resident allegedly behind posting a picture of himself holding a gun on Instagram making threats toward the St. Mary’s Polish Country Fair will have a hearing June 21 before Judge Lisa Gorcyca in Oakland County Circuit Court.
According to Oakland County juvenile court documents, the teen was arrested May 24 after the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office authorized and granted an arrest warrant against him for domestic terrorism, a 20-year felony; investigators arrested him inside his home.
On May 25, he was arraigned and held at Children’s Village in Pontiac. The reading of the charges was waived and he was held without bond at Children’s Village.
The teen's initial hearing and preliminary examination was June 5, and Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor Josh Arnkoff requested that the courts try the teen “in (the) same manner as an adult,” according to the court documents.
An Oakland County Sherriff’s Office press release stated that calls were made to the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office and the Orchard Lake Police Department after parents and others reportedly noticed someone posting threats on Twitter and Instagram against the Orchard Lake St. Mary’s Festival shortly before the festival was scheduled to be held.
“The threats consisted of several photos showing a handgun, an assault rifle and a photo of several fully loaded high-capacity magazines for a handgun,” the press release states.
Each of the photos made a reference to the Orchard Lake St. Mary’s Festival. One of the photos shows someone holding a gun with a message underneath that states, “We can’t wait till st. marys fair.”
An attorney for the teen could not be reached by press time.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- Emagine scraps plans for Roseville location - Roseville
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Man robs Roseville bank - Roseville
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Mom, man she met online to stand trial on child sex charge - Warren
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi