Suspects charged in Harper Woods liquor store shooting

By: Brendan Losinski | Advertiser Times | Published April 13, 2018

 Jenkins

Jenkins

 Hawkins

Hawkins

HARPER WOODS — Two suspects have been charged with a shooting that took place March 30 at a Harper Woods liquor store.

Harper Woods Department of Public Safety officers responded to Glenn’s Party Store on Harper Avenue at 12:30 p.m. after reports of shots being fired in the parking lot.

The officers discovered that one man had been shot, and they observed a silver Toyota leaving the scene that contained two men, identified as 23-year-old Detroit resident Mario Jenkins and 18-year-old Harper Woods resident Cory Hawkins, whom police believed to be the alleged shooters.

The vehicle reportedly fled from the officers and a pursuit began. With the assistance of the Detroit Police Department, the chase ended in the 12100 block of Findlay Avenue in Detroit. Both suspects were taken into custody and were transported to the Harper Woods Department of Public Safety.

“Officers were not far away from the store at the time of the shooting, and when they pulled up, they saw the vehicle pulling away from the scene,” said Harper Woods Department of Public Safety Chief James Burke. “(The officers) attempted a traffic stop, and when the suspects refused to stop, they began a pursuit that went into Detroit. They knew the suspects were armed and did a great job. (The suspects) threw the gun out the window at one point, but the officers stopped and recovered the weapon, and they picked the pursuit back up and were soon able to stop the car. There were a lot of units from DPD and a helicopter in the area, and thankfully no other persons were injured and no property damage was caused.”

The shooting victim, a man from Grosse Pointe Woods, was transported to a local hospital and was temporarily listed in serious condition. He was released on March 31 and was expected to make a full recovery, according to police. There were no other injuries reported. Detectives were continuing the investigation. 

“Investigators are still looking into the motive, but there’s never any cause for anyone to pull out a gun like this,” remarked Burke. 

On April 2, Jenkins and Hawkins were formally charged in 32-A District Court by Judge Daniel Palmer in connection to the incident.

Each suspect was charged with one count of assault with intent to murder, one count of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, one count of felonious assault, one count of fleeing a police officer-third degree, one count of carrying a concealed weapon and four counts of felony firearm. Additionally, Jenkins was charged with one count of possession of a firearm by a felon, one count of assaulting/resisting/obstructing a police officer, one count of possession of marijuana and one additional count of felony firearm.

Judge Palmer set bond at $250,000 cash or surety for Jenkins and $100,000 cash or surety for Hawkins. The next scheduled court date is a preliminary exam for Jenkins and Hawkins at 1:30 p.m. April 25 in 32-A District Court.

“We’ve had this rash of shootings recently, but our officers are doing a great job day-in and day-out discouraging crime and patrolling the city,” said Burke. “They are showing people that if they do something bad, they will be caught. If our road patrol doesn’t catch them, our detectives will.”

Jenkins’ attorney, Wright Blake, did not wish to comment on the trial. Hawkins’ attorney, Kevin Bessant, could not be reached for comment.