St. Clair ShoresAugust 22, 2012
Suicidal man hospitalized after shooting
By Kristyne E. Demske
C & G Staff Writer
A 40-year-old man is in critical condition at St. John Hospital in Detroit after St. Clair Shores police were forced to shoot him Aug. 21.
Deputy Police Chief Glenn Bowlin said officers were called to the Falcon Crest Apartment complex on Little Mack Avenue at 10 Mile Road, around 7:15 p.m. Aug. 21 after receiving calls about a suicidal man.
“As they were arriving, as they were getting out of their patrol cars, they heard a gunshot and observed a male walk out onto the balcony of an apartment,” Bowlin said.
The man was carrying a shotgun and was told repeatedly by police to drop his weapon, but he refused.
“He then turned around and leveled the weapon at the officers,” Bowlin said.
That’s when a St. Clair Shores police officer with the force for at least 10 years fired at the man, striking him in the chest. Police don’t know if anyone was living with the man in the apartment but said no one else was hurt.
“The investigation will be ongoing for a long time,” Bowlin said.
The officer has been placed on administrative leave with pay, which Bowlin said is normal in these situations and is “standard operating procedure in all departments … until everything gets settled and we get a chance to review everything.”
He said counseling is always available to any officer that needs or wants it and “it’s well received by the officers.” According to Bowlin, it has been at least 10 years since a St. Clair Shores Police officer had to fire shots in the line of duty.
Call Staff Writer Kristyne E. Demske at (586) 498-1041.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi