STERLING HEIGHTS — Students at Utica Community Schools will end another school year by singing some classic Disney tunes, and they promise that the performance will be anything but Mickey Mouse.
Students from three schools will perform a spring concert, “The Wonderful World of Disney,” at Stevenson High School May 23.
Leo Humbach, a choir director at three UCS schools, said in an email that the concert will showcase the voices of about 175 students from Stevenson High School, as well as the Heritage and Davis junior high schools. Heritage’s choir director, Chris Smith, is also helping put on the show.
By picking the family-friendly theme of Disney, Humbach said he hopes to unite students and families throughout the school district.
“Having all three schools present is a great way to demonstrate that we are all family within the fine arts programs at UCS,” he said.
“It is also my desire to inspire our young students from the elementary schools to consider being a part of the performing arts while they attend junior high and high school.”
According to Humbach, some of the night’s highlights will come from the scores of animated Disney musicals, such as “Beauty and the Beast,” “Aladdin” and “The Lion King.” In fitting with the Disney spirit, four students will appear in costume as Disney princesses to sign autographs and take pictures with audience members.
In fitting with the school year’s end, the concert will pay tribute to the graduating Class of 2013 with a slideshow and the Natasha Bedingfield song “Unwritten,” Humbach said.
Stevenson High School sophomore Antonia Ferrara-Skiba said she has sung in choir since the seventh grade and called it a “great journey.” She plans to sing some of the songs from “The Lion King,” such as “Be Prepared.”
“I am also looking forward to ‘Can You Feel The Love Tonight’ because it’s such a cute, sweet song,” she added. “I love being part of the choir presentation of ‘The Lion King’ because it’s a classic, and I believe we can really do this justice.”
The Stevenson High School, Heritage Junior High School and Davis Junior High School choirs will perform “The Wonderful World of Disney” at 7 p.m. May 23 at Stevenson High School, 39701 Dodge Park Road, in Sterling Heights. Admission is $4 for adults, $2 for students and free for children younger than 5. Learn more at www.uticak12.org or at (586) 797-1900.
- 30 DAYS
- Police investigate three suspicious car fires - Royal Oak
- Dakota High School student dead after being found in hospital parking structure - Clinton Township
- Alertness may protect your car, holiday gifts - Metro Detroit
- Teen dies after rollover accident - Clinton Township
- Dakota senior earns Eagle Scout recognition - Macomb Township
- Dead body identified as Hazel Park man - Hazel Park
- You’re still a good man, Charlie Brown - Warren
- Explosion rocks neighborhood - St. Clair Shores
- Kramer Homes offers gift of community for disabled vet - Center Line
- Stein Mart opens first metro Detroit store in Rochester Hills - Rochester Hills
- Police arrest suspect in hit-and-run of Troy High School student - Troy
- Commissioners approve Oakland County Animal Control’s new ‘forever home’ - Oakland County
- Chaldean foundation opens new community center - Sterling Heights
- New high school club puts focus on science and technology - Roseville