Harrison TownshipApril 25, 2013
St. Clair Shores jogger struck by vehicle
By Julie Snyder
C & G Staff Writer
HARRISON TOWNSHIP — A 31-year-old St. Clair Shores man sustained non-life-threatening injuries after he was struck by a car during a late-morning jog in Harrison Township April 23.
Macomb County Sheriff’s Lt. John Michalke said the victim was jogging along Jefferson near Ponchartrain at around 11:10 a.m. when he was struck by a vehicle driven by a 62-year-old Shelby Township man.
County deputies had been called to the area of Jefferson and Crocker, following a series of reports about an erratic driver.
While searching for the described vehicle, a report came in about a pedestrian who had been struck by an out-of-control vehicle.
Michalke said that an investigation revealed that the driver of the vehicle was traveling northbound on Jefferson in a 2013 Dodge Ram pick-up truck when he veered across the centerline and struck the victim, who was jogging northbound on the southbound Jefferson shoulder.
The lieutenant said the victim suffered a laceration and was treated and released at McLaren Hospital in Mount Clemens.
The driver was reportedly suffering from a medical condition at the time of the accident. Michalke said the driver had an extremely low blood-sugar level.
“There was no evidence of alcohol or drug use,” he said.
The investigation is continuing, and anyone with information is asked to contact the Macomb Sheriff’s Department at (586) 469-5151. Michalke said once the investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the township attorney or the Macomb County Prosecutor for consideration of any charges.
“It appears to be just a tragic accident,” he said.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Woman found dead in Warren home - Warren
- Former Birmingham mayor arrested again on meth charges - Birmingham
- Business owner slain outside restaurant - Harper Woods
- Community rallies for Shelby boy with brain cancer - Shelby Township
- City purse snatcher still at large - Grosse Pointe City
- Former Berkley mayor offers to repair clock she donated to city - Berkley
- Christmas Bird Count draws near - Macomb County
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi