Couldn’t make it to New York Fashion Week?
See the latest in fall fashions and items made in Michigan when Couture Internationale Fashion Shows of Troy partners with Neiman Marcus for an event to benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Troy 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Oct. 4 at the Somerset Inn in Troy.
Jill Zikakis, owner of Couture Internationale, used to sit on the board of the Boys & Girls Club of Troy.
“They needed help with a fundraiser, and I still help them out whenever I can,” she said. “I called Neiman Marcus, and they were happy to do it.”
“This is a wonderful event to support our local community,” said Lindsey Machacek, public relations manager for Neiman Marcus, in a press release.
Professional models and local celebrities will don the latest fall fashion and walk the runway.
There will also be vendors selling art and items made in Michigan, and a silent and live auction of memorabilia of former Detroit Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman.
The event includes lunch, and all proceeds benefit the Boys & Girls Club of Troy.
Jeff Evans, executive director of the Boys & Girls Club of Troy, said memberships at the club ”sold out” this past summer.
“Not only did we sell out, but kids were coming more often,” he said.
“We had over 300 kids a day,” he said.
He noted that the number of kids who attended the club more than three times each week increased by 15 percent from last year.
He said the staff kept things interesting this summer with themed days such as Slip and Slide Day, Pirate Day and Hawaiian Day.
Evans said the Troy facility does not receive any funding from the United Way, the state, or the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
“Our mission is to provide a safe, affordable place for young people to learn and grow,” Evans said.
He noted that membership during the school year costs $60.
“We want to keep it affordable. That’s where the fundraisers come in — to offset expenses.”
Forgotten Harvest will be onsite to accept donations of nonperishable food items at the event.
Ticket prices are $75 and $100, and corporate sponsorships and silent auction items are being accepted. For tickets, call Zikakis at (248) 528-1919 or the Boys & Girls Club of Troy at (248) 689-1687. For more information about the Boys & Girls Club, visit www.bgctroy.org.
- 30 DAYS
- ‘Friends don’t steal from the dead’ - Farmington Hills
- Roseville Wal-Mart evacuates for bomb scare - Roseville
- Bike network to connect six Woodward communities - Ferndale
- Harper Woods police officer killed in crash - Harper Woods
- Shelby dentist makes impact in Haiti - Shelby Township
- Body of Southfield fire chief found in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- Team Kayla gears up to ‘Head for the Cure’ - Madison Heights
- Fatal crash occurs on Hayes Road - Macomb Township
- New boutique focuses on power of positivity - Madison Heights
- Suspicious man reported near school playground - St. Clair Shores
- Great Lakes water levels reach highest point since 1998 - Metro Detroit
- Allegedly drunken driver runs stop sign, crashes into business - Harrison Township
- Farmers market coming July 26 - St. Clair Shores
- Gone with the graffiti - Utica