RosevilleJune 12, 2012
Roseville Gratiot cruise cancelled
By Sara Kandel
C & G Staff Writer
Roseville City Manager Scott Adkins announced at the June 12 regular City Council meeting that the Roseville Heritage Foundation has decided it would be best to cancel their 2012 Gratiot cruise and replan for 2013.
No one from the Roseville Heritage Foundation, which has been trying to put together a Gratiot cruise for years, spoke on the issue during the meeting, including Councilman Bill Shoemaker, who sits on the foundation board.
Multiple problems with the proposed date — Sunday, July 22 — had emerged at the May 22 council meeting, when council tabled approval for what would have been the city's first-ever official cruise, similar to the ones its neighbors to the north (Clinton Township) and south (Eastpointe) put on annually. Eastpointe's Cruisin' Gratiot is this Saturday.
Public safety concerns and a shortfall of money to meet the city's fees, insurance and other costs were among the issues discussed last month. But at the time Shoemaker was still hopeful something could be worked out.
“I am hoping we will still be able to negotiate and work with the cost a little, but we’ll still have to pick up additional sponsorship to make this happen,” said Shoemaker on May 22.
No further details, including a possible date for 2013, are available at this time.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- WB board to petition governor for treasurer’s removal - West Bloomfield
- Bashara seeks laptop in jail as he prepares for murder trial - Detroit
- Commission takes stance against I-75 expansion - Royal Oak
- Hackel touts ‘resurgence’ of Macomb County economy - Macomb County
- Puppies transform prisoners - Rochester Hills
- Troy makes Grand Sakwa offer for transit center land - Troy
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Lieutenant promoted to Deputy Police Chief - St. Clair Shores
- Looking Back: Warren Co-op - Warren
- Ferndale resident taking part in Potters Market for first time - Ferndale
- Avoid holiday horror stories - Shelby Township
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi