Roseville City Manager Scott Adkins announced at the June 12 regular City Council meeting that the Roseville Heritage Foundation has decided it would be best to cancel their 2012 Gratiot cruise and replan for 2013.
No one from the Roseville Heritage Foundation, which has been trying to put together a Gratiot cruise for years, spoke on the issue during the meeting, including Councilman Bill Shoemaker, who sits on the foundation board.
Multiple problems with the proposed date — Sunday, July 22 — had emerged at the May 22 council meeting, when council tabled approval for what would have been the city's first-ever official cruise, similar to the ones its neighbors to the north (Clinton Township) and south (Eastpointe) put on annually. Eastpointe's Cruisin' Gratiot is this Saturday.
Public safety concerns and a shortfall of money to meet the city's fees, insurance and other costs were among the issues discussed last month. But at the time Shoemaker was still hopeful something could be worked out.
“I am hoping we will still be able to negotiate and work with the cost a little, but we’ll still have to pick up additional sponsorship to make this happen,” said Shoemaker on May 22.
No further details, including a possible date for 2013, are available at this time.
- 30 DAYS
- School board member’s Facebook post a ‘mistake’ - Roseville
- ‘Justice for Theresa’ served, killer gets life in prison - Warren
- Suspect charged with carjacking 97-year-old woman - Warren
- Local mom creates app to preserve memories - Farmington Hills
- Plans to connect Troy to the Clinton River Trail proceed - Troy
- Movie theater to undergo $8.5 million renovation - Clinton Township
- New micro housing project receives green light - Royal Oak
- Goodbye Bloomfield Park, hello Village at Bloomfield - Bloomfield Township
- St. Joan of Arc considering fence, admission to keep peace at ’16 fair - St. Clair Shores
- Menards now looking at fall 2015 opening - Warren
- Seniors lose graduation privileges after Stoney Creek High School vandalism - Rochester Hills
- Stoney Creek student overcomes leukemia to graduate, heads to Harvard - Rochester Hills
- Three in custody tied to robberies at 7-Eleven, Family Video - Warren
- Some pig - Shelby Township