Reward offered for tips leading to B&E suspects
Published July 2, 2014
HAZEL PARK — Crime Stoppers has posted a $1,000 reward for anyone who can provide tips leading to the arrest and conviction of two suspects who were caught on video breaking into the same convenience store on two separate occasions.
Both incidents occurred at the Gas & Go at 22001 John R in Hazel Park. The first incident occurred at 2:40 a.m. June 2. The second incident occurred at 1:19 a.m. June 9. The business was closed at the time of both incidents.
In both cases, the suspects gained entry to the business by smashing out the glass in the front door and then reaching inside to unlock the door. Surveillance video shows the same two suspects breaking and entering each time.
The first suspect is a black man, shorter and heavier, around 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 11 inches tall, with a goatee and mustache, a medium afro, and a light complexion.
The second suspect is also a black man, taller and thinner, standing about 6 feet tall. He has medium complexion, and very short hair, possibly balding.
Both men were dressed in jeans and T-shirts. Once inside the store, they checked the cash register for money. It appears that some cash was taken in the June 2 incident, but none was taken June 9. They also stuffed cigarette cartons into a backpack.
An alarm triggered as soon as the glass was broken, calling police to the crime scene. The thieves worked quickly and were gone by the time cops arrived.
“They were in and out very quickly, probably less than a minute and a half from the time they entered,” said Hazel Park Police Chief Martin Barner. “There may be a third person involved driving a getaway vehicle, in the second incident.”
The suspects appeared to run northward after leaving the store.
“From talking with other departments in the area, we’ve also confirmed they’re responsible for one (breaking and entering) in Warren, as well,” Barner said. “The same kind of crime, what we typically call smash and grabs.”
Anonymous tips can be reported to Crime Stoppers by calling 1-800-773-2587 or by visiting www.1800speakup.org.
The Hazel Park Police Department can be reached by calling (248) 547-3033.
- 30 DAYS
- Transit center legal question delayed - Troy
- Drilling ordinances ban fracking - Rochester Hills
- Parade marches on with cheering crowds - St. Clair Shores
- Busy weekend ahead for car and truck enthusiasts - Macomb Township
- Stay on course with safety while off-roading - Metro Detroit
- Late councilman was a beloved family man, city leader - Utica
- ROHS named as a ‘Best High School’ in annual ranking - Royal Oak
- BHS recognized as one of the most challenging high schools in the state - Berkley
- Auto accident critically injures Stevenson student - Sterling Heights
- A mother’s dream come true - Macomb Township
- Stevenson student dies after M-53 accident - Sterling Heights
- Sheriff shares latest developments in fatal Stony Creek crash - Shelby Township
- East Detroit approves school uniform policy - Eastpointe
- Three 17-year-olds die in single-vehicle crash at park - Shelby Township