Police investigating smoke shop break-ins
Posted October 23, 2013
WARREN — An investigation remained ongoing Oct. 23 into a rash of recent break-ins at local smoke shops.
Warren Police Detective Cpl. Scott Isaacson said the same suspect or suspects apparently targeted four local tobacco retailers: Sam’s Smokers Center, on Hayes north of 13 Mile Road, was targeted on both Oct. 9 and Oct. 19; M & A Smokers, on Schoenherr at Stevens, and Warren Tobacco Plus, at 12 Mile and Schoenherr, were also both targeted on Oct. 19; and Smoke-N-More, on Schoenherr at Sidonie, was targeted on Oct. 22.
All of the break-ins or attempts were made in the early morning hours. Isaacson said the three that occurred between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. Oct. 19 were very similar.
“On all three that night there was entry through an adjacent building or business and an attempt to break through the adjoining walls,” Isaacson said. “They tried to break through the dry wall to get in.”
Isaacson said all three break-ins on Oct. 19 were unsuccessful. An unspecified amount of cigarettes and cigars were taken during the break-in on Oct. 9 at Sam’s Smokers Center.
All five incidents remained under investigation at press time.
“We have forensic evidence to show that they’re all related,” Isaacson said.
Anyone with information about the break-ins can reach the Warren Police Department at (586) 574-4700.
About the author
Staff Writer Brian Louwers covers the cities of Warren and Center Line. He has worked for C & G Newspapers since 1998 and is a graduate of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. In his free time, he participates in the Michigan State University Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program and conducts interviews with military veterans for the Veterans History Project at the Library of Congress.
More from C & G Newspapers
Grosse Pointe Shores
- 30 DAYS
- Macomb Mall theater structure to be torn down - Roseville
- Fire & Ice with Spice supports #DougStrong - Clawson
- K-2 students adapt with their own tablets - Fraser
- Aging in place is made easier in high-tech era - Metro Detroit
- Blessings in a Backpack program helps 39 Kennedy students stay fed - Ferndale
- Woman stabbed at GM Tech Center - Warren
- Building on Big Beaver goes on auction block - Troy
- Hall Road project planned for 2017 - Shelby Township
- Chippewa graduate to compete on ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ - Clinton Township
- Park concept plan unveiled - Rochester Hills
- Bald eagles spotted around city - St. Clair Shores
- 6 places to purchase the perfect paczki - Metro Detroit
- Man shot multiple times, suspect on loose - Clinton Township
- Local student accepted to MIT - Clinton Township