Police investigate head-on collision
March 6, 2013
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — A Clinton Township woman killed Feb. 27 in a head-on car accident on Groesbeck will be remembered as a loving mother of four and a beloved fiancée.
Susan Kozak, 46, was the only fatality, but the accident, which occurred around 5:30 p.m. on Groesbeck, north of 15 Mile, involved four other vehicles, critically injuring one other person, as of press time.
“You always hear that this happens to the good person, but she really and truly was,” said Shawn Barone, who was engaged to marry Kozak on April 13. “She had no enemies.”
Kozak also leaves behind four children, aged 19, 12, 9 and 7 years old.
“She loved her kids,” Barone said. “All of her kids’ friends know her as ‘Mom.’ She was the cool mom.”
Kozak worked for Barone at Advanced Performance, an automotive repair shop in Clinton Township.
She earned the CB radio handle “Blonde Angel” 19 years ago while driving hundreds of miles a day as a test driver for Ford Motor Company, Barone said. She had the nickname pinstriped on the back of her pickup truck, he said.
As of press time, police were not clear on why her pickup, while driving southbound on Groesbeck, crossed over and hit a northbound pickup. The driver of that vehicle was reportedly in critical condition, said Clinton Township Lt. Raymund Macksoud.
Two other vehicles, one northbound and one southbound, were hit, as well. One driver was treated and released, and the other was uninjured.
Following the 5:30 p.m. collision, police closed the section of Groesbeck north of 15 Mile down to one southbound lane until about 1 a.m.
Police are now investigating the accident and asking any witnesses with information to come forward by calling Macksoud at (586) 493-7933.
Barone said that a memorial fund has been set up to help cover the cost of Kozak’s funeral expenses. Donations can be made to the Susan Kozak Memorial Fund through any Flagstar Bank branch.
- 30 DAYS
- Body of Southfield fire chief found in Lake St. Clair - Harrison Township
- ‘Friends don’t steal from the dead’ - Farmington Hills
- Roseville man arrested for alleged kidnapping and torture - Roseville
- Back-to-School Bonanza prepares needy kids for fall - Rochester
- Shelby dentist makes impact in Haiti - Shelby Township
- Bike network to connect six Woodward communities - Ferndale
- Hartwell resigns from council to run for mayor - Madison Heights
- Fatal crash occurs on Hayes Road - Macomb Township
- New boutique focuses on power of positivity - Madison Heights
- Suspicious man reported near school playground - St. Clair Shores
- Great Lakes water levels reach highest point since 1998 - Metro Detroit
- Allegedly drunken driver runs stop sign, crashes into business - Harrison Township
- Farmers market coming July 26 - St. Clair Shores
- Gone with the graffiti - Utica