Clinton TownshipMarch 6, 2013
Police investigate head-on collision
By Nico Rubello
C & G Staff Writer
CLINTON TOWNSHIP — A Clinton Township woman killed Feb. 27 in a head-on car accident on Groesbeck will be remembered as a loving mother of four and a beloved fiancée.
Susan Kozak, 46, was the only fatality, but the accident, which occurred around 5:30 p.m. on Groesbeck, north of 15 Mile, involved four other vehicles, critically injuring one other person, as of press time.
“You always hear that this happens to the good person, but she really and truly was,” said Shawn Barone, who was engaged to marry Kozak on April 13. “She had no enemies.”
Kozak also leaves behind four children, aged 19, 12, 9 and 7 years old.
“She loved her kids,” Barone said. “All of her kids’ friends know her as ‘Mom.’ She was the cool mom.”
Kozak worked for Barone at Advanced Performance, an automotive repair shop in Clinton Township.
She earned the CB radio handle “Blonde Angel” 19 years ago while driving hundreds of miles a day as a test driver for Ford Motor Company, Barone said. She had the nickname pinstriped on the back of her pickup truck, he said.
As of press time, police were not clear on why her pickup, while driving southbound on Groesbeck, crossed over and hit a northbound pickup. The driver of that vehicle was reportedly in critical condition, said Clinton Township Lt. Raymund Macksoud.
Two other vehicles, one northbound and one southbound, were hit, as well. One driver was treated and released, and the other was uninjured.
Following the 5:30 p.m. collision, police closed the section of Groesbeck north of 15 Mile down to one southbound lane until about 1 a.m.
Police are now investigating the accident and asking any witnesses with information to come forward by calling Macksoud at (586) 493-7933.
Barone said that a memorial fund has been set up to help cover the cost of Kozak’s funeral expenses. Donations can be made to the Susan Kozak Memorial Fund through any Flagstar Bank branch.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Missing woman found dead - West Bloomfield
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall - Berkley
- All in the family - Clinton Township
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi - Metro Detroit
- Premature birth rates decline in Michigan for sixth year - Metro Detroit
- Police seek help in fatal hit-and-run - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: 1920s Coolidge Highway - Berkley
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer - Shelby Township
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams - Walled Lake
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee - Macomb Township
- East Detroit student dies following pool accident - Eastpointe
- Attorney dies in Harper Avenue crash - St. Clair Shores
- CVHS students to stage production of ‘Hairspray’ - Clinton Township
- Looking Back: Selinsky-Green Farmhouse c. 1898 - St. Clair Shores
- Sterling woman hurt in shooting - Sterling Heights
- Christmas comes to the Shores - St. Clair Shores
- County board considers regional water authority proposal - Macomb County
- Shelby boy battles rare form of cancer
- Lions Thanksgiving halftime show spotlights WLC band, cheer teams
- BHS Orchestra selected to perform at Carnegie Hall
- Macomb Home Depot creates college scholarship in honor of deceased employee
- Child prodigy becomes youngest artist exhibited at Park West Gallery
- All in the family
- Christmas Wonderfest brings holiday wonder to Novi